Wednesday, January 1, 2014

I Dare You

Well 2014 is here and the New Year's resolutions are upon us. What will you resolve to do, to change, to be? I have decided to make this year my most daring yet! For the past few years I have made it a point to try new things that made me step out of my comfort zone. The results have been life changing so I have decided to start my next adventure by writing this blog. So here is a little background information on me and your first dare:

I Dare You To Be: DIFFERENT in 2014!

Different: not the same as another or each other; unlike in nature, form, or quality. Most people think that being different is a bad thing, but to me it's not. Let me tell you a little about myself so you can understand why being different is such a great thing.

I'll start by telling you that I am a 48 year old woman, who just happens to be a second degree black belt in karate. I was over 40 when I started taking the classes, although it was something that I fantasized about doing when I was younger. I am sure that everyone who has ever seen The Karate Kid, or a Bruce Lee movie has had the fantasy, but how many of them have the courage to get out and do it? See DIFFERENT!


I have been sewing ever since I could hold a needle and thread. I can't remember a time when I wasn't making my own clothes and I even had the opportunity to make money sewing for others as early as in Elementary School. In those days it wasn't exactly cool to some of the other teens to have clothes that weren't name brand and what others considered stylish. So let's just say, I endured a lot of ridicule. But I knew what I wanted so I did it MY way!  I was able to start my own official sewing business: Doshie's Custom Sewing when I was in my early twenties and I have been self-employed every since. Using my skills I have had the opportunity to do everything from alterations to wedding gowns. I even had the opportunity to outfit a whole High School marching band  including the color guards one year. See DIFFERENT!

Having the chance to do such a variety of types of sewing gave me the opportunity to find the thing that am the most passionate about sewing: window treatments! I spent years making window treatments for many different designers and personal customers. Then I decided to use all the skills that I had gained over the past 25+ years to design a line of my own valances. So as a result, I designed my Hidden Rod Pocket valances and I started a brand new business: Black Belt Home Decor. Then as if that weren't enough, I decided that instead of just selling them locally, I might as well try selling them worldwide! So I opened a shop on Etsy and did just that. See DIFFERENT!



I am telling you all of this because if I can do it, so can YOU! All I did was to follow my dreams and to never give up. When I started out, I really had no idea that what I was doing would bring me to a point in my life where I would want to motivate others to do the same, I was just following my dreams. So I hope that you will dare to be DIFFERENT with me in 2014 and to follow your dreams too!


1 comment:

  1. What an incredible story! Thanks for sharing with us. You are a truly accomplished and talented lady.

    ReplyDelete