Monday, January 6, 2014

Before and After: Necessity Is The Mother Of Invention



Although my Hidden Rod Pocket valances were originally designed to be used with continental curtain rods, I have been asked on several occasions to modify their pockets to be used with different kinds of curtain rods. So I thought that I would show you some of the ways that they have been modified.
This bay window had cafe rods that were used for a previous window treatment.

Closeup of the cafe rod hardware.

I converted the EMILEE Hidden Rod Pocket valance to work with the cafe rod.
There was an additional window over the sink, so we decided to use a tension style, cafe rod so that the valances would look like they were installed the same way.

This window had a 1" lock seam curtain rod that the customer wanted to use again for her PEYTON Hidden Rod Pocket valance. 

The actual rod was 104" wide and spanned across three windows.
                               
Here is the finished PEYTON Hidden Rod Pocket valance.

Close up of the finished valance.


One of the things that I like the most about having my business on Etsy, is that because I get to talk directly with my customers, I have the opportunity to be more flexible than a larger online business can. By that I mean that when given the chance, I can often come up with my own solutions to what others might see as problems. I may never have intended to install my valances using any rods other than continental curtain rods, but so far I have been asked to adapt my valances to hang using cafe rods, lock seam curtain rods and I have even constructed one that was installed on a pole. Sometimes while collaborating with a customer, I have been able to design a whole new valance style for their windows. I never know where a new idea will come from. Sometimes it will be by looking at a beautiful fabric, other times it might happen while thumbing through a bridal magazine. I think that my business will always be changing and evolving, as long as I am open to the opportunity to learn something new. I can't wait to see what I am given the chance to learn next!






No comments:

Post a Comment